931 S. Homan Avenue, Chicago, ILA
- Architect: Farr Associates
- General Contractor: Pepper Construction
Recently, Kelso-Burnett Co. worked to complete the renovation of an old power house into the Charles Shaw Technology & Learning Center in Chicago, Illinois. Originally constructed in 1904, the historic power house facility was once used to power Sears Roebuck & Company’s headquarters facility and now serves as a public charter high school for over 450 high school students.
Kelso-Burnett Co. completed all of the electrical and structured cabling installations for the 90,000 square-foot renovation. The Kelso-Burnett team worked around many structural challenges to preserve historic building features in order to achieve a LEED Gold Certification. New features include the use of lighting and indirect light with high ceilings, geo-thermal heating and cooling, energy recovery ventilators, a direct digital control system with web interface, and much more.
Overall, over 87,000 feet of Category 6 cabling was installed and the entire renovation project took Kelso-Burnett Co. over 17,500 man-hours to complete. The renovation won Project of the Year – K-12 Education for 2009 in Midwest Construction magazine’s Best of 2009 awards, the Landmarks Illinois Driehaus Award for Historic Preservation, the National Housing and Rehabilitation Association Timmy Award for Adaptive Reuse, and many more.